choosing a nursery or pre-school
If you are thinking about nursery care for your little one here are some suggestions of things you should consider:
• What are the opening hours and the session times?
• Do they have spaces for the days and times you want?
• If you are lucky enough to be able to look at more than one nursery then do
• Think about location – is it near your home or work? If you have a long commute would it be easier to choose a nursery near work, but don’t forget to think about what would happen if you changed job in future
• Is the nursery ofsted Registered? Read the latest ofsted report on www.ofsted.gov.uk or ask the nursery for a copy
• Does the setting feel welcoming and nurturing?
• Are parents given information on their child’s progress and achievements?
• What training and experience do the carers have?
• Is there enough space, including an outdoor play area?
• Are staff joining in and showing affection to the children?
• Are the children happy and absorbed in activities?
• Are a range of activities and resources available?
• Is the environment safe and stimulating for the children?
• What happens in cases of accidents and emergencies?
• Are the toilets and basins clean and child-sized?
• Is the equipment of a high standard?
• Do displays show different cultures in a positive way?
• Are facilities available for changing nappies and potty training?
• Are the meals and snacks healthy and nutritious?
• Has the setting achieved a quality assurance certificate?
To find out more visit the PLA web site.......
School Term Dates
Term dates can vary from county to county and not all pre-schools follow the school terms dates exactly so please make sure that you check with your child's pre-school.
You can check the official school term dates by clicking on the links for your area:
- Made up of volunteers from the Somerset and North Somerset areas, the Committee works to promote Pre-Schools in the region.
Committee meetings are held quarterly and you are welcome to read about our activities in the minutes.
Are you involved with your local pre-school or playgroup? Would you like to help us support children's development across our area? Find out how you can help........